We are excited to have partnered with our sponsor, The Coca-Cola Company, to share tips for staying healthy during the holiday season.
The holiday season is a time for family, friends, and giving. All too often, this festive time of year can also “give” to the waistline by packing on the pounds with all the holiday food and festive drinks. In fact, according to a recent survey commissioned by Coca-Cola and conducted by Harris Poll, nearly four in five Americans anticipate feeling like they’ll eat too much during at least one winter holiday meal. Let’s face it: we’ve all done it, but over time, these selections add up. Making smart choices during the holiday season is important, and of course everything in moderation is key.
These tips can help you avoid packing on the pounds during the holiday season:
1. Don’t go hungry. Eat about every three to four hours during the day to avoid overeating at one meal. Eating smaller meals and adding in snacks can help you stay satisfied throughout the day.
2. Portion sensibly. Consider using a smaller plate to encourage smaller portion sizes; opt for a 9” plate instead of 12”.
3. Wait before reaching for seconds. Wait at least 10 minutes before heading back for seconds. Your brain needs about that much time to register it is full.
4. Drink wisely. It’s easy to lose track of your calorie count during holiday festivities, so opt for smaller amounts of your favorites when possible, like Coca-Cola’s mini cans. You can still enjoy one of your favorites without breaking the calorie bank.
5. Maintain balance. Focus on a balance of food, activity, and fun. Make time for physical activity, too, by going for a walk or playing a friendly game of football with the family.
The winter holidays often leave many Americans stressed over the thought of gaining weight. By following these tips, you’ll be able to focus more on family and friends and less on holiday bloat. Remember to give yourself permission to enjoy your favorite holiday foods and beverages in moderation. You’ll be less stressed and more at peace to enjoy this festive season!
Jan Tilley, RD, a national leader in nutrition counseling, wellness, and chronic disease management based in San Antonio, Texas, is a mother of four and a consultant to The Coca-Cola Company, where she provides practical nutrition information on the company’s behalf.