Alamo City Moms Blog is proud to partner with IDEA Public Schools to offer parents information about schools in San Antonio.
You’ve seen the IDEA billboards on 410 and I-10. You’ve read about IDEA in the San Antonio Express News. You may have seen IDEA students in their “No Excuses” polos, received an IDEA postcard in the mail, or even spotted the big blue IDEA tent at community events.
Simply put, you’ve probably heard about IDEA Public Schools. But in San Antonio’s increasingly choice-filled education landscape, facts trump familiarity. Today, we’re going to share facts about IDEA Public Schools so that you, as an education-oriented San Antonio parent (this is the Alamo City Moms Blog, after all), know what we’re all about.
An Introduction to IDEA Public Schools
IDEA Public Schools is a network of tuition-free, college preparatory K–12 schools in the Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, and Austin. Our 44 schools serve more than 24,000 total students. That number is growing as we expand to meet demand for high-quality public schools in more communities.
Our motto and mission at IDEA is College for All Children, and it’s based on two core beliefs:
- First, we believe that a college degree is the surest bet for a secure future. No other life choice opens doors and provides options quite like it.
- Second, we believe that all students are capable of earning a college degree, regardless of the obstacles they face in life.
These beliefs have kept us laser-focused on preparing students for success in college since our founding in 2000.
IDEA in San Antonio
IDEA came to San Antonio in 2012, and we now have five IDEA campuses serving 3,600 students. Here’s a snapshot of the IDEA San Antonio family:
|Campus||Community||Serves grades:||Fully grown in:|
|IDEA Carver||Dignowity Hill||K–9||2018|
|IDEA Eastside||Jefferson Heights||K–2; 6||2021|
|IDEA Monterrey Park||Prospect Hill||K–3; 6–7||2020|
|IDEA South Flores||Harlandale||K–4; 6–8||2019|
|IDEA Walzem||Northside/Walzem Rd.||K–3; 6–7||2020|
The IDEA Public Schools Model
IDEA schools prepare students for college by providing a tuition-free, rigorous, college-preparatory education. The path to college at IDEA starts in kindergarten and continues until 12th grade when our alumni toss their hats in the air on college graduation day.
Each IDEA campus is split into two schools: Academy (grades K–5) and College Prep (grades 6–12). Read on to learn what you can expect from IDEA from Kindergarten to college graduation.
All IDEA schools provide…
- A small, safe learning environment
- Rigorous academics
- Dedicated time for personalized remediation and enrichment
- A college-bound school culture
- Passionate, high-quality teachers and educational staff
- Responsive, experienced school leaders
- …and much more
IDEA Academies (Grades K–5) provide…
- Innovative curriculum that reaches students at their just-right levels
- Small-group instruction for a personalized learning experience
- Regular access to cutting-edge educational technology
- Preparation for success in middle and high school
- …and more
IDEA College Preps (Grades 6–12) provide…
- Exposure to college-level expectations with our AP-for-All strategy
- Opportunities to earn college credit through AP and other advanced coursework
- Leadership and character development through sports, clubs, and other activities
- Robust college-readiness programming, including:
- College campus visits
- Competitive funding for prestigious summer programs through our College Summer Away Program
- A college-application course for juniors
- Standardized test support
- ….and more
IDEA Alumni receive…
- Personalized support from an alumni counselor
- Networking opportunities at regular alumni events
- Competitive access to emergency funding through the Give-Me-5 fund
The programming listed above, our incredibly supportive communities, dedicated staff, and hardworking students have allowed us to make great strides. IDEA’s record of results is growing stronger each year. Here are some of our proudest achievements:
- We’re regularly ranked in U.S. News and World Report’s top-performing schools, both nationally and state-wide.
- This year, all seven of our high schools were ranked in The Washington Post’s list of most challenging schools.
- We’re currently on a nine-year streak of 100% college acceptance rates for graduating seniors.
- Many of our campuses rank among the few Texas schools to earn distinctions in all seven TEA categories.
- Our AP scores are improving like crazy, including a 145% increase in the number of tests with a score of 3 or higher.
Want to know more about IDEA Public Schools?
We’d love to hear from you and answer any questions! There are lots of ways to get in touch. We look forward to talking to you.
- Visit our website: ideapublicschools.org
- Visit a school: http://ideapublicschools.org/contact-us
- Call us: 1 (956) 377-8000
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked In