|And that all fits in here|
I’m reticent to admit this, but here it goes: I kind of think I’m too cool for a Mom Bag. In the same way I am too cool for my environmentally unaware massive SUV, my ability to catch spit-up without even looking at the baby, and my knack for finding lost Barbie shoes under the bed. I had my first child in my late 20’s – hardly a “young mom” – yet I find myself thinking, sometimes that I should be the babysitter, not the ordering pizza for the babysitter. Because of this misguided notion of cool-ness (do young people even use that word when referring to something that is ”in”?!) my Mom Bag tends to be a bit of a love/hate relationship.
With one still in diapers, the huge tote is not optional when a full day away from the house is on the agenda. I never leave the house without bringing not only the actual diapers, wipes and diaper cream, but also nose saline wipes, hand sanitizer (both liquid and wipes), and Clorox wipes, as well. I am not a crazy-about-germs mom, but lets be honest – there are a lot of nasty things out there, and my kids are like moths to a flame with anything recently sneezed upon.
I try to keep a pen somewhere in the abyss, as well as lip balm, and sunscreen. On days when I haven’t lost my mind yet I remember to throw in sippy cups of water and snacks. Otherwise, I usually have at least a handful of matchbox cars, an earring, bracelet, and, on a good day, a tiara shoved unceremoniously in my good ole Mommy Bag. I’m slowly learning to embrace this receipt-filled trash receptacle because, truthfully, I’ll take sticky toddler hugs over cool any day.
For my third child, I was over the typical diaper bag and opted instead for a handmade Etsy find by Jessie Blume that serves as my EVERYTHING bag. When I have the kids with me, I don’t even bother carrying a separate purse.
- The canvas chevron makes me feel stylish and even though it isn’t waterproof, it’s washable and I was sure to thoroughly spray it with Scotch Guard.
- I found the KF Baby Diaper Bag Insert Organizer to be the perfect option to organize everything inside.
- I always have a fun Caden Lane Cotton Burp Cloth with me; it’s the softest thing you’ll ever touch.
- A new find this summer has been my Planet Wise Wet Bag. Since we’re always at the pool, I can put wet bathing suits, towels and even dirty baby clothes in it.
- My Erin Condren planner is never more than an arm length away. Although I keep my main calendar electronically, there’s something about daily to-do lists that makes me most productive.
- Aden + Anais blankets are the best. When it’s not covering my baby directly, it’s the perfect breathable material to cover the top of the car seat while my baby is sleeping or we’re walking in the hot Texas sun.
- My changing mat and wipes. Aquaphor Healing Ointment is my go to diaper cream that I slather on her if I see a touch of redness in her diaper area… it knocks it out by the next diaper change!
- Avon Skin So Soft Insect Repellent – With the recent heavy rains in our area, I have found my family in need of this often.
- I feel like I go through sunscreen by the case starting in May and I was happy to read the recent Consumer Reports that ranked Target’s brand of Up & Up SPF 50 the #1 sunscreen over all the expensive brands.
- My clear pouch keeps my personal items – hair bands, makeup all together where I can easily take it out and toss it in a real purse.
- Hanging outside, you’ll find my hand sanitizer in addition to my keys. I’m a big fan of clipping my keys to my bag so I don’t have any bag dives while carrying a 20 pound car seat in the 95 degree heat.